IFAP’s Basic Offshore Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) with Compressed Air Emergency Breathing System (CA-EBS) is an OPITO approved course that covers offshore-specific safety induction, helicopter safety and escape (HUET), sea survival and first aid, fire fighting and self-rescue. This course includes in water use of the CAEBS and covers the correct use of a CAEBS and the appropriate emergency response actions to take in the event of an emergency deployment. The BOSIET with CA-EBS includes essential content specific to travel over cold water, and is suitable for those people travelling over both cold and warm water environments.
This course also provides participants with the knowledge, skills and confidence to respond appropriately in the event of an emergency whilst offshore, and to enhance their ability to survive in the event of an emergency through proper use of emergency equipment and procedures.
On completion of the BOSIET with CA-EBS course, participants will:
Receive a safety induction covering:
- Industry and Installation overview
- Offshore hazards
- managing offshore safety
- Controlling offshore hazards
- Regulating offshore safety
- Living and working offshore
Take appropriate actions following:
- A controlled emergency descent to a dry landing
- A controlled ditching on water
- A partial submersion of an aircraft
- An aircraft capsize in water
In addition to:
- Describe and carry out appropriate actions in preparation for a helicopter ditching
- Take appropriate actions following a controlled emergency descent to a dry landing
- Take appropriate actions following a controlled ditching on water
- Take appropriate actions following a partial submersion of an aircraft
- Take appropriate actions following an aircraft capsize in water
- Understand the principles of and correctly don a transit suit for helicopter travel
- Correctly use a CA-EBS
Upon successful completion of the assessment requirements, participants will be provided with an OPITO Certificate and an IFAP Photo ID Card.
- Photo identification must be provided – Passport, Australian Driver’s Licence or Proof of Age Card only will be accepted.
- Participants must bring a swimming costume.
- Overalls, boots and shoes for wet and dry practical exercises are provided together with towels for showers. Lockers are also available.
- For the in-class session, clean casual clothing is required and covered footwear is essential (no high heels). It is requested that where possible jewellery is not to be worn and valuables not brought to the centre.
- IFAP holds no responsibility for lost or stolen valuables. We also recommend that participants do not wear contact lenses (or glasses) in the pool, therefore suitable containers should be brought to store lenses.
NOTE: IFAP’s BOSIET course exceeds the standard OPITO course in some content in order to meet Australian regulations and company requirements.
OPITO will allow an individual to refresh a BOSIET course within a four-year period. However, this duration is a maximum time frame and the actual refresher period is still dictated by each country’s legislation or company requirements. The BOSIET Refresher course is the OPITO approved FOET (Further Offshore Emergency Training).