This course is designed to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for seafarers for familiarisation, basic training and instruction in accordance with the STCW Convention, as amended.
The Certificate of Safety Training (CoST) is made up of five short courses as follows:
- Personal survival techniques (PST)
- Personal safety and social responsibilities (PSSR)
- Fire prevention and fire fighting (FPFF)
- Security awareness training (SAT)
- Elementary first aid (EFA)** (See note under ADDITIONAL INFO)
On completion of this course, participants should be provided with the skills and knowledge to:
- Carry out the required duties during an onboard emergency situation
- Use life saving equipment and implement survival techniques both in the water and in survival craft
- Use life saving equipment to assist in rescuing a person from the water
- Identify potential hazardous situations arising in the work environment, and take appropriate action to minimize risk of injury and pollution
- Develop communication skills and contribute to effective workplace relationships
- Contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness
|Start Date||End Date||Location||Book Now|
|Monday 12 March, 2018||Sunday 18 March, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 16 April, 2018||Sunday 22 April, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 14 May, 2018||Sunday 20 May, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 11 June, 2018||Sunday 17 June, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 9 July, 2018||Sunday 15 July, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 13 August, 2018||Friday 17 August, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 10 September, 2018||Friday 14 September, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 15 October, 2018||Friday 19 October, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|
|Monday 12 November, 2018||Friday 16 November, 2018||Fremantle||Book Now|Membership Type Price Non-Member $3,070 Individual/Associate $2,785 Ruby $2,710 Sapphire $2,630 Emerald $2,555 Diamond $2,475
Must be over 16 years of age and be in good health.
Successful completion of the assessment requirements will provide participants with the opportunity to apply to AMSA for the issue of a Certificate of Safety Training (STCW Convention, as amended).
NOTE: Participants who don’t hold a Workplace Level 2 or a Senior First Aid Certificate issued within the last two years by a Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) provider, will need to complete a First Aid course at any NRT provider of their choice. Participants who have completed their First Aid, will need to bring the original First Aid Certificate or a Certified copy to be sighted by the Course Facilitator.
- Photo identification must be provided – Passport, Australian Driver’s Licence or Proof of Age card only will be accepted. Also bring your valid Senior First Aid Certificate.
- Participants must bring a swimming costume.
- For the in-class session, clean casual clothing is required and covered footwear is essential (no high heels).
- It is requested that where possible jewellery is not to be worn and valuables not brought to the centre, IFAP holds no responsibility for lost or stolen valuables. We also recommend that participants do not wear contact lenses (or glasses) in the pool; therefore suitable containers should be brought to store lenses.
- For days 6-7 participants are required to be clean shaven as per the national competency package for this subject requirement of Australian Standard 1715.
- It is also highly recommended that participants have a appropriate fitness level.