IMIST (International Minimum Industry Safety Training) is an OPITO standard which supports the global oil and gas industry to meet safety initiative targets.
The IMIST e-learning programme has been developed to provide a new global standard for workplace health and safety training which will provide a comprehensive and consistent level of training across the world and enhance workforce safety and compliance.
This introductory safety training programme is designed to introduce the fundamental safety elements of the oil and gas industry to new starters, giving an appreciation of the potential hazards and controls that might be encountered by participants. Each unit has been designed to focus on your personal responsibility for safety thus influencing your behaviour and attitude towards co-workers, the installation and the environment.
During this course participants will gain an awareness of the variety of tasks and the safety risks to be found in the oil and gas industry. They will be required to demonstrate a sufficient level of knowledge. On completion of this course, participants should be able to demonstrate understanding of the following key areas:
- Introduction to the hazardous environment
- Working safely
- Understanding the risk assessment process
- Tasks that require a permit to work
- Personal responsibility in maintaining asset integrity
- Using the manual handling techniques every day
- Controlling the use of hazardous substances
- Knowledge and processes of working at height
- Being aware of mechanical lifting activities
On successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with an IMIST certificate of completion. The IMIST qualification is valid for four years.