This course aims to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to safely operate a gantry or overhead crane.
This unit covers the requirements of being able to plan, prepare and operate an overhead or gantry crane and carry out operator maintenance.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Assess, interpret and apply compliance documentation
- Assess, interpret and confirm work requirements
- Assess and apply safety information and procedures
- Prepare site in accordance with AS2550, legislation and manufacture/site requirements
- Prepare load for lift in accordance with crane limitations and rigging requirements
- Confirm work area hazards are removed or controlled
- Interpret signals in accordance with AS2550
- Operate controls to lift, transfer and lower loads
- Inspect crane for faults in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and site requirements
- Process records in accordance with site requirements
Participants must be at least 18 years of age and can use the English language at a level that enables the safe performance of high risk as specified in the competency standards.
Successful completion of the assessment requirements, will provide participants with a statement of attainment issued by STES (RTO Code 50091) for RIIHAN305D – Operate a gantry or overhead crane.