High Risk Work Licences

Which IFAP courses fall under the High Risk Work Licences?

DG – Dogging
RB – Basic Rigging
LF – Forklift Truck
WP – Boom-Type Elevating Work Platform
CN – Non-Slewing Mobile Crane
CV – Vehicle Loading Crane

How long is my licence valid?

High Risk Licences are valid for 5 years. The 5 years starts from the date of issue. For further information on renewing or adding classes to your High Risk Work Licence, please refer to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) website.

My Dogging, Rigging, Scaffolding, Forklift, EWP or Crane tickets were issued through IFAP many years ago, is it still valid?

No, any cards ‘tickets’ that were issued prior to the implementation of the High Risk Work Licences that commenced on the 1st October 2007 have expired.

If my training was done outside of Australia can I transfer it to a High Risk Work Licence?

No, the training will have to be done to the Australian National Standards to gain a High Risk Work Licence.

Does IFAP send through my application for the High Risk Work Licence?

Yes, IFAP will process your application and forward to WorkSafe for an additional fee, which is paid at the time of enrolment.  You also have the option of submitting your own application to WorkSafe and paying the applicable fee directly to them.

Offshore and Maritime Safety Training

I have never worked offshore before and want to get a job in this industry. Which courses do I need to do?

The accepted minimum standard to work offshore in Australia is a recognised offshore survival training course which includes Helicopter Underwater Escape Training (HUET) in conjunction with the Common Safety Training Programme (CSTP). The most accepted offshore survival training course in Australia are either the Tropical Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (TBOSIET) or the Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSIET) course which will allow you to work in Australian territorial waters and also most other offshore Oil and Gas areas around the world.

I need to do a HUET (Helicopter Underwater Escape Training) course. Which one do I do?

If you are already employed in the offshore industry your employer will inform you of the requirements for this type of training. Different operators and different installations require you to have different levels of qualification. There are three common choices here. You can do a Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training, BOSIET (2 days) or a TBOSIET (2 days) these two are OPITO approved, which is accepted by the majority of offshore operating companies in Australia, or the Aviation Escape and Survival (AES 1day) this is not OPITO approved and there are only a select few companies that accept this qualification. All three of these courses have HUET included in them.

What is involved in a HUET Course?

The actual HUET training involves a two hour theoretical component and a two hour practical component. The theory will cover all things relevant to flying over water in helicopters including the actions you should take if your flight inadvertently has to land or ditch into the water. The theoretical component covers all the requirements to successfully complete the practical exercises of the course. The practical training consists of a series of underwater escapes in a helicopter underwater escape simulator in an indoor swimming pool. All course participants are supervised by a fully qualified course facilitator and a number of instructors who act as safety divers.

What if I am a non swimmer?

Participants do not have to be a swimmer to complete this type of training. It’s not uncommon to have non swimmers participate in and successfully complete their HUET course. In fact, vary rarely do we have classes where there are no non swimmers. Our fully qualified facilitators, instructors and safety divers will be there to assist non swimmers as required. While undergoing the sea survival part of the training participants will be wearing a life jacket at all times and continually supervised by our instructors through all the exercises.

Can I do just the HUET and not the other components?

Yes, but in the majority of cases the HUET only will not be sufficient to allow you to work offshore. If you are spending any time on an offshore installation you will be required to do a full course such as BOSIET or TBOSIET. These types of courses also include sea survival, fire fighting and smoke escape, life boat abandonment as well as an introduction to the offshore oil and gas industry and the safety regime it adheres to.

How long does a HUET ticket last for?

In Australia the accepted validity period for Offshore Survival Training including HUET is determined by the owner/operator of the offshore facility the individual is attending. A HUET card can last up to four years but your operator’s internal requirements or the legislative requirements covering the area you are working in will determine its actual validity period. As a service provider for HUET IFAP has no mandate to dictate how long your qualification is valid for. Therefore IFAP will only list a course date on your I.D. card and no expiry date. For safety reasons IFAP will not permit current HUET ticket holders to enrol on its refresher courses outside 4 years.

Who is OPITO?

OPITO is a U.K. based organisation which works with employers and employee groups to set and monitor training standards for the global oil and gas industry. OPITO does not determine the content of the training course or the duration of the refresher period, this is done by the offshore industry usually in consultation with OPITO and its global base of OPITO course providers.

Why do I need to do an OPITO course?

You don’t always have to do an OPITO course to work offshore but in today’s industry the OPITO courses are the most universally accepted.

Cold water course?

Why do I need to do this and where is it valid? The term “Cold Water Course” generally refers to the OPITO BOSIET course. The BOSIET course is the most universally accepted course and in most cold water areas around the world the BOSIET is a must have. In addition to the normal offshore training requirements it also covers the use of “Underwater Re-breathers” as well as the use of “Survival Suits”. Note: The BOSIET is not only used for cold water areas. Many companies have adopted this course as their minimum standard for working offshore.

Warm water course?

Why do I need to do this and where is it valid? The warm water course (TBOSIET) was created for areas where some of the components of the cold water course were either not required or were simply impractical e.g. using immersion suits to keep warm in cold water. It is widely accepted in most Tropical and Sub-Tropical areas of the world. You can always upgrade to the BOSIET or “Cold Water Course” at a later date if required.

What are the medical requirements for my HUET Course?

In all circumstances you MUST provide a medical to participate in a HUET course. The medical must be dated no more than 3 months prior to the end date of your course. There are absolutely NO exceptions to this rule. There are several medicals that will be accepted for the HUET course and these are outlined in the segment of the specific courses under medical requirements. Once enrolled on a HUET course you will be sent a medical pro-forma that you can take to any medical practitioner to get completed. Any medical submitted for a HUET course must in some way show that it was undertaken by a medical practitioner knowing it was going to be used for HUET and must show the person is “fit to undertake that specific training”.

Which medicals are approved and recognised by IFAP?

Participants MUST at the beginning of the course, provide evidence of an IFAP accepted current HUET medical clearance (all medicals are deemed current if within their validity period as shown on the medical itself). IFAP acceptable medicals are:

  • Any offshore medical whereby the individual has been assessed as fit to perform work offshore without restriction.
  • CASA Class 1 Aviation Medical
  • CASA Class 2 Aviation Medical
  • AMSA Medical
  • OIL & GAS United Kingdom (OGUK) Medical
  • Norwegian Offshore Medical
  • Recreational Diving Medical

If you do not hold one of the above then please use the medical pro-forma on our Confirmation letter, and take to a medical practitioner or registered nurse for completion. IFAP’s onsite doctor or nurse is also able to complete this assessment, if requested prior to commencement of the course for a fee of $165 (inc. GST) per person.

Will my North Sea training be valid for Australia?

Most training carried out in the North Sea will be recognised in Australia but once again it comes down to the individual company requirements. Where possible check with the owner/operator of the offshore installation you will be working on.

Can I get recognition for prior learning for my other training?

If you are looking at doing an OPITO course the only prior learning that can be accepted is a similar OPITO course that was conducted at an OPITO approved training centre. Likewise if you are looking to do a nationally recognised course we can recognise other nationally recognised training, i.e. your certificate of qualification must have the nationally recognised logo.

Refresher. How long does the course go for?

The refresher is a one day course and is referred to as either a TFOET or FOET. The TFOET stands for Tropical Further Offshore Emergency Training and is the TBOSIET or warm water refresher. The FOET stands for Further Offshore Emergency Training and is the BOSIET or cold water refresher.

Refresher. How often do I need to do it and how long is it valid?

Like the TBOSIET and BOSIET a refresher (TFOET or FOET) can last anywhere up to and including four years. Your operator’s internal requirements or the legislative requirements covering the area you are working in will determine its validity actual period. So long as you don’t let it expire beyond 4 years you can continue to update you HUET by completing the refresher course as opposed to redoing a full course.

Acronyms commonly referred to in industry

LLN Assessments

What is LLN?

LLN is an acronym for Language, Literacy and Numeracy and are the core skills required to complete a nationally recognised training course.

Why do I need to complete an LLN Assessment?

All participants seeking to enrol on a nationally recognised training course are required to be assessed to determine any support needs.

How does the LLN Assessment assist me?

IFAP are committed to ensuring that we provide you with the best chance of success in the course you have selected. This process assists IFAP to:
•    Determine your suitability to the course that you have selected
•    Identify and assist with any additional support or preparatory skills you may require
•    Provide you with any coaching and mentoring you may require

What happens if I fail?

The LLN Assessment is not a test and therefore there is no pass or fail.

How can I access the LLN Assessment?

This can be done by clicking the link or if it does not work copying the following URL into your internet browser https://ifap-au.informz.net/survistapro/sn.asp?gid=B2101E70-409B-4D4A-9395-01A387719586.

Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? Our customer service team will have an answer for you. Please contact us at 1300 IFAP 00 or 1300 432 700 or via email at bookings@ifap.asn.au.