A requirement of the WA Mines Safety and Inspection Act 1994 is the appointment of persons with the competence to ensure that workplaces are adequately ventilated to minimise risks arising from exposure to hazardous substances and airborne contaminants. This course builds upon the competencies acquired in the three-day IFAP Surface Ventilation Technician Course.
Participants will be required to provide evidence that they have understood the training and have applied it in their workplace. This requirement means that it’s not possible to complete all of the assessment requirements during the face-to-face training.
Participants will be given a two month timeframe after attending the course to complete the assessment.
NOTE: Course graduates qualify for Associate Membership of the Australian Institute of Occupational Hygiene.
|Surface Ventilation Officer||7 October - 8 October 2021||08:30 am - 04:30 pm||IFAP North Lake|
|Surface Ventilation Officer||11 November - 12 November 2021||08:30 am - 04:30 pm||IFAP North Lake|
|Surface Ventilation Officer||16 December - 17 December 2021||08:30 am - 04:30 pm||IFAP North Lake|
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the application of the hierarchy of control in order to minimise any potential hazardous effects arising from employee exposure to atmospheric contaminants
- Discuss the need for alterations to exposure standards where variations to an eight hour shift may occur and apply appropriate formula to determine exposure level
- Explain the possible interrelationships between two or more atmospheric contaminants, their possible effect on exposed employees and potential difficulties of measurement
- Discuss the use of the National Occupational Health and Safety Commission’s guidance note for determining the level of risk posed by hazardous substances
Apply a systematic approach to managing hazards for a range of hazardous substances exposure scenarios in mining operations, including:
- Confined spaces
- Welding and allied processes
On successful completion of this course, participants will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
Participants need to have completed the IFAP Surface Ventilation Technician course.
- Participants are required to wear a collared or polo shirt.
- Participants are required to provide a laptop and will be given a USB in order to complete the assessment.
- Participants are encouraged to bring their own air pump as used in their workplace.